Monday, June 20, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam

One of the best things about summer is fresh fruit & veggies! I absolutely LOVE rhubarb & look forward to it every year. Its only around for such a short time & I had to make some freezer jam so we can enjoy it all summer long.
I’m no expert on jam. In fact I don’t even use pectin…..just straight up fruit & sugar! But every batch has turned out thick & delicious. So simple & makes a hostess gift to bring along to your next summer cook out.

3 cups of rhubarb
3 cups of strawberries
2 ½ cups sugar

I’ve made this both from frozen & fresh from the garden & have had the same results. Always nice & thick! If using fresh from the garden, you may need to add about a ½ cup of water.Also my recipe uses less sugar then most recipes call for. But you can always add more if sugars your thing :)
Add all ingredients to large pot. Heat to a boil, stirring continuously. Boil for about 5 to 10 mins.  You want the the fruit tender & able to be mashed well & sugar desolved. Now remove from heat. Using a potato masher blend the fruit & sugar together.
If your using a glass container make sure it has no “shoulders” and has a wide mouth. Always leave some room at the top to allow for expansion in the freezer as well. After filling the jars I place in the fridge to cool, then place in the freezer until ready to use. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months & in the fridge for week when defrosted, or using fresh from the pan.
Don’t forget to label them !



18 comments:

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

This looks delicious! I've never made this kind of jam before. We grow rhubarb every year. I just used a bunch of it to make a cake. I'll have to try out the jam soon. Yum! :)

Dawn said...

Yum! I had better use up all my frozen fruit to make room for the new stuff. Good idea:)

TexWisGirl said...

yumina humina! :)

Celia said...

My mother-in-law has rubarb growing wild in her back yard. Hmmm? Giving me some ideas.

Heather said...

I've never made jam and never tasted rhubarb! Looks like I'm missing out! Thanks for sharing.

Barb said...

Looks great Trisha! Last night I made strawberry jam. We think a like :-). Must be in the genes. Bring some on vacation. I'll trade you a jar.

Paula said...

This jam looks delicious and best of all it's quick to make. I might give it a try as I love to jam on my toast for breakfast.

Diane Writes said...

Aside from the yummy jam, I love the way how you made the container so beautiful and enticing too.

Debbie said...

i can't believe you do this, you have many, many talents. when do you find the time!?!

it looks so yummy and i love the presentation....so cute!!!

Allison said...

I have always wondered what people mean by "freezer" jam. Thanks for the tips! Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't make any rhubarb this year! arg...

:)

Out on the prairie said...

You found a niche to make sweet goodies. Pectin usually is for jellies.The settlers always used crabapples in jelly since it had a natural pectin in the skins.I'll bring some good bread!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Yum! I canned dill relish yesterday. Love this time of year!

Nancy said...

Look at those cute labels! And this is such an easy recipe, Trisha. I will have to try it! :)

Leontien said...

we used to have some rubarb in Holland. and i can't say i liked it very much. Now here in the US i kinda changed my mind.

thanks for sharing
leontien

OurWanderingAdventures said...

This sounds fabulous and I must must must try it now!!! We are headed strawberry picking next week, so this could be perfect!!

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy and simply beautiful!

SquirrelQueen said...

Yummy! This recipe sounds so easy, I might give it a try.

Trollkjerringa1 said...

Looks really yummy :D