Monday, January 3, 2011

Face lift for old containers

One of my goasl for this January is to get organized. It seems like a never ending battle. I spend a weekend here & there throughout the year, tossing , donating, & sorting. But a few months go by & we’re back to square one. It drives me a little crazy!!

I’m starting with the little things first. Contain all my little odds and ends. A few months ago I bought a set of old wood “coffee, tea & sugar” containers at the thrift shop for just a few dollars. I knew they’d be perfect for holding misc. things on our desk, or even for my small craft items. Since buying them, they have just sat in my “get to later” area. I almost donated them back while cleaning up. So I finally sat down & gave them the face lift I had planned to do. With just paper & glue I gave them a new shabby chic look.

This could work with just about any container. All you need is some Mod-podge glue, paint brush, decorative paper & scissors.


Lay the box on top of paper & mark where it needs to be cut. Use the paint brush to spread glue on surface of box. Press & smooth paper to box. Repeat until box is covered. Once the glue dries, trim off any extra paper that may be left. I used an x-acto knife for any little spots around top & bottom that the paper went over the edge.

That’s it! Now I have a few more containers to collect all the little things. Maybe you have a few containers that you were going to toss ? They might just need a little help to make them useable again.


Lets hope this is just the start to us actually getting organized this month. I have a few major projects for organizing our mud room/laundry room up next on my list. But as for now I’ll try to complete all the small projects first .

14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Good luck with the organization! It's never easy! And like you said, within weeks it's like you never touched anything!

Out on the prairie said...

This should give you a sense of what may be in them also if you remember. Looks like some sturdy containers that would have easily set you back $15-25 easily new.

LBB said...

Texwisgirl- I know..its always a never ending project isn't it?

Out on the prairie- Thats what I love about resale shops! Will a little effort you can get a great item in the end (and cheap too!)

Nancy said...

Those turned out so cute! What an imagination you have. I see things like those canisters at my thrift store all the time -- but I really don't need any more "stuff" in the house, if you know what I mean.

Love this upcycle idea. :)

SkippyMom said...

Neat idea. I have a set of 40's aluminum canisters that are so neat -except my husband stuck them in the dishwasher eek! And they tarnished I don't know what to do with them - and I can cover them like this because the writing is raised :( But you give me hope!

SkippyMom said...

*can't cover them, oops!

Teresa said...

what a great idea! i need something like that to hold my Copic markers. i'll have to look around at our thrift store to see what i can come up with.

a lady at work gave me two 1995 longaburger baskets (the small key and the medium key) so i'm looking forward to using them in my scrapbook room.

Dawn said...

Adorable! Your ideas are what I wish I could have...so thanks once again for your sharing!!!!
(I am SO NOT crafty:(((

(As for your comment on my Abandoned post today...once upon a time I DI go into that house- with someone along...but forgot to take pictures. I think I was a little jittery;))

Christy said...

Cute idea!!

Paula said...

What a great find and they do make lovely storage containers. Good thing you didn't take them back to the thrift store :-)

Inger said...

You are so talented and it is such fun to look at your stuff. I have been obsessed with my two-drawer filing cabinet these past few days and I have finally gone through it and purged and organized my files. I think my closet may be next.--Inger

Serendipity Chic Design said...

What a great idea! I love the prints you chose...

Take care,
Lisa

Junky Jen said...

Very cute and functional!!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

good luck with the organizing....I tried it once and failed. Havent tried it again.

Thanks for linking up

Love your guts
mandi