Saturday, January 22, 2011

Knitting Looms & Pom Poms

I’ve been knitting for a while now & the girls have got into it as well. My 9 yr old has picked it up pretty well . The 5 yr old is starting to get the hang of it but still needs help. I thought the loom was something that might be a little easier for them. So on our recent “stay in our pj’s” day we started some projects.

I’ve never used one but the after checking out this youtube video we tried it. It seems like knitting went a lot faster. I tried it too ! It was actually kind of fun.


Noelle made a skinny scarf in about an hour. She is now going to start a hat.

Addy had a good start but her little hands couldn’t get the hang of it yet. Maybe a smaller loom? So she made a pom pom. Great to top a hat or add to the bottom of tassels.

Its so easy. First we trace & cut a circle on 2 pieces of cardboard. We used a cereal box. Then cut a circle in the middle of both. Cut a line to the circle. Then cut the edge of that slit into a small “V”. This makes it easy to slide & wrap the yarn around the circle.

Now holding the start of the yarn to the 2 circles, start wrapping. Continue all the way around until you have it covered nice and thick. Slide scissors in between the 2 cardboard circles & cut all the way around.



Then cut a strand of yarn about 8 inches long. Slide the string between the 2 cardboard circles and tie very tight.


Once tied, trim excess yarn & slide off cardboard. You now have a pom pom! Its so easy. Now she can help her sister complete her hat ..... if she decides to share  : )

14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

I loved my knitting loom as a kid - my dad made it for me out of a few boards and some carefully nailed in brads. I made lots of neck scarves off of that thing! I recently bought a small round plastic one to try to make some rope toys for the dogs but the rope was too thick and wouldn't come thru the hole. But it was fun to try anyway after all these years!

Out on the prairie said...

Ann@ Snap and scrap had some of these and I wondered about them, fun .

colenic said...

I have a couple of the looms that my mother in law gave to me and I could never quite get them....I will have to pull them out again as I want to make a hat and don't know that I could do it without it....and thanks for the pompom instructions....we will be making them soon with a group of boy scouts and I can never remember the right way!

LBB said...

I hope everyone gets a chance to try a loom out. I'll share what I made later :)

colenic- this would be such a great group project-easy & fun. You should see all the pom poms we have here now! Glad the directions helped you out!

Barb said...

Great job on the projects girls :-). Can't wait to see them.

Tonia said...

I bought my middle girl a loom for christmas she LOVES it! I dont knit or crochet.. Never learned enough or ADD kicks in.. But this I could do.. Her and her dad figured it out though and she is now knitting a stripped scarf. Its is pretty! Iplan on buying her a round one to make hats and she wants a big one for a blanket...

Paula said...

I've been wanting a knitting loom for some time, it seems to me to be just the thing to make hats in the round and without seams which never look nice, at least my ones. I might try and buy one of those cheap ones from the £ store just to see how I get on.

Nancy said...

Those pom poms bring back memories for me. We made them to put on our ice skates when we lived in Canada. So much fun! We made them out of two different color yarns.

Julia said...

What a sweet post :) Great on your feet thinking for Addy! I love the little pom-poms!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Sweet!! I love it when my girls take an interest in doing something with me, so fun!! Look out, she may be putting pom poms everywhere!!!! GREAT JOB!!

Allison said...

I'm sitting here working and I just saw your comment pop up. If you are coming to Switzerland, you ought to look back over the pictures I posted last summer and fall. I had family and friends visiting, and many times I featured different cities or areas. Even the castle of Chillon is posted one day! Hurray for you! Is it your first European trip? Or have you traveled here before? :)

Allison said...

And your post here makes me sit back and say, "Duh!". I've been helping my girls make these pom poms for years and it never once ocurred to me to cut a slit in the side for the yarn! I always have to cut new lengths as they go. What a brilliant idea!! THANKS!

teekaroo said...

I found a loom at a second hand store and bought it for my daughter, but she couldn't quite get it yet. Thanks for the pom pom idea. We'll have to try that.

LBB said...

Allison- This will not my our first European trip. We went to London & Paris a few times. But it will be a first for our girls. Now we're on "super savings" mode to make the trip happen next year! Thanks! I'll look back on your past posts!