Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thrifty Thursday

I fell in love with this chair when I found it. I’m not usually a fan of other peoples used fabric & cushion type chairs etc. You never know what its been through. But this ones an exception. I have a photo of a chair I admired from Southern Living Magazine.

The shape, style & color were all something I could see fitting perfect in our bedroom.  Its been a few months since I tore this from the magazine. Look what I stumbled upon on a recent thrifty shopping day.....



The most amazing part….ITS NEVER BEEN USED! I could not believe it. It is in perfect condition. Not a mark. The fabric & cushion as wonderful as the day it was made. My only theory is it was in someone’s living room. One that was never allowed to be touched or used….only admired. I bought this for $20. This was a high price piece of furniture for this particular thrift store. But well worth it.

This is the first piece I’ve ever bought thrifting that I didn’t come home & redo. That in its self is amazing! After doing research on this chair I have found out it is a Jamestown Lounge, 1957 designer series . It is made with solid oak. I figured that out when I went to carry this upstairs to our room( Its super heavy)! This company is no longer in existence. I have found that the pieces that are floating around online are worth a pretty good penny.
But this ones a keeper for me! Plus I love finding the story that might have gone along with it. That’s almost as fun as finding the item itself!

Unlike its previous life, I promise it will get sat in….I’m blogging from it right now : )

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

I love finds like that one! Looks roomy and comfy! And bloggy!!! :)

Christy said...

Wow awesome find!!

Shell said...

What an excellent find !

teekaroo said...

Love good finds!

SkippyMom said...

I can almost guarantee that sat in someone's formal living room and only company was allowed to sit in it on special occasions. My parents had a room like that and woe was the kid who entered uninvited. :D

I LOVE that chair. And what a great price I couldn't believe it. Nice find Round. :D

[I have the same sweater as you do in your profile pic' - in black- how come you look so much better in it than me. giggle]

Out on the prairie said...

Maybe it was a catch all chair so they never sat in it. I just took out one I have and replaced it with a bike. I laughed today having to take all the stuff hanging on it off before I could ride.

Nancy said...

I found a 1960s couch and chair in sage green at my local thrift for $50 -- in almost perfect condition. I couldn't leave it there.

You did excellent on this chair. I would have probably snatched it up too -- but I don't have any room for it! ;)

Teresa said...

love, love, love the chair! i would have taken it in a heartbeat, too.

Paula said...

What a super fantastic find. If I had one of those I could just picture myself curling up on it with a book or some crochet. I'm glad it's gone to a good home where it will be used and treasured.

Edain said...

What a great find! :)

Allison said...

I love thrift shopping! Lucky for me, our thrift shop (or brocante) has a lot of pewter items for pennies! I also once found a set of darling silver spoons. :)

Treehugger_31 said...

I love it! Especially the color!