Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Quick & easy book sling

I’ve been in the mood for a spring clean up in my girls bedrooms.Then I saw this great idea over at Type A Decorating. Tammy made a couple book slings to hold her daughters books. I knew it would be the perfect solution for the over flow of books in Addy’s room.


This book sling was super easy & cheap too! All you need is a ½ yard of fabric (depending on the size your going to make) double rod hanger attachment, and a couple wooden dowel rods.
I could only find brown ones so I just painted them white to match her room better. Then measure the length you would like the sling to be. Cut the dowels and the fabric to that length. Leave a little extra fabric so you have room to hem the sides, as well as enough fabric to make the sleeves for the rods to slip in. Pin it up and sew. Simple straight stitch sewing. Or slightly crooked like I did works too !! She’ll never notice :)
Grab your level & mark your wall where you’d like to attach the rod holder. Then add anchors before screwing in if your not placing on wall studs. I actually hung this rod holder upside down on purpose. It gave the sleeve more room to hold books.

Look at all the books it can hold!!


Now just hang your fabric sleeve up! Done!! This made a huge difference in her mess of books. We were able to fit a ton of her paper backs& lighter books in there. I added a basket for the large cardboard books below it.

But I couldn't stop there! I had a cute magnet board & an old frame I painted white. Up that went & now it’s a great area for her to display her little pics or cards. She has been loving this little nook in her room ever since!

And look at the difference its made in her room….

Before....
After...

She loved her doll house & it worked great for her books and storage. But you can’t use it for dolls if its full! So I moved it to the playroom. I had this wood table I found for $4 at Goodwill last year. Its just been used to hold a pile of misc. items in the basement. Works so much better in her room! I think this is the cleanest it's ever been! We’ll see how long that lasts : )

Linking up to......



20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Spring cleaning and pink too! :)

Out on the prairie said...

We had the same dollhouse, lots of good memories.

LBB said...

Out on the prairie- That house has been passed down from my cousin to my oldest, who then gave it to my youngest. It is a great dollhouse!

Nancy said...

Looks great! Love the book sling idea. :)

Tammy @ Type A said...

it looks so good! i love how it opened up the room and gave her more space. just perfect!!! xx

Designs on 47th Street said...

I bet your daughter just loves this. Don't you love a fun project that helps with organizing too? Great job.
Donna

Reader Teacher said...

I love this idea! It's super cute!

Dawn said...

Love before and after photos...especially when they're that cute:)

Chrissie said...

Oh I love this! What a cute idea!

Allison said...

That is so cute, Trisha! How do you do it? So efficient and pretty. I'm rather jealous of your skills... you seem to have that magic touch!

Inger-M said...

What a creative idea! I immediately thought of things I could use it for as I don't have children in the house, and ideas started popping up. So now one of those is on my project list :-)

Belly Charms said...

Love it!!!! I am following you back:)

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

What a great idea! My son collects comic books and we need a way to store them. Thanks so much for linking up!

Jayna Rae said...

I love it. It would be great in the bathroom for magazines.

JuneBug said...

Oh that book sling is AWESOME! I must try it.

Nan ~ Playful Decor said...

You did make it! Looks great!

Tammy @ Type A said...

hey lady!!! you won my give away! i'm gonna do a post about it right now. congrats. xx

Aimee said...

That is a great idea! It would be awesome to do several rows of these and make a fabric library. Hmmmmmmmmmm......... JoAnn Fabrics here I come!

Unknown said...

So handy! I had added one of these next to my daughters' beds... since they would end up with piles of books on top of them each night reading themselves to sleep! A great idea!

Thanks so much for sharing this at For the Kids Friday! I'll be posting the next link party tomorrow night. I hope to have you stop by and share again this week!

:)rachel at SunScholars.blogspot.com

Green Door Girl said...

great idea and perfect for a kids room - I just shared this idea on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/willowhousewithgreendoordesigns