Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring time sweet treat

This is such a simple dessert to make. Not only does it taste delicious, it makes for a pretty edible display on the table. Plus, kids LOVE to help make this!


You’ll need a muffin pan, foil, 1 cup chocolate chips, ½ cup peanut butter, ¼ cup margarine, 1 tsp vanilla extract, about 5 to 6 cups of shredded wheat cereal and candy eggs. This could make 12 to 24 birds nests depending on how thick you make your nest.
First crush your shredded wheat squares. I just used a large bowl and pressed with a measuring cup until most of the of the shredded wheat squares fell apart. Its ok to have some larger pieces. It gives it more of a “real” nest look. Then place foil on top of a muffin pan & press into each holder.


In a separate bowl combine chocolate chips, peanut butter,& margarine. Micro on high for 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until smooth. Be sure to stir after 1 minute. When ready, add the vanilla. Pour mix over cereal. Stir until it is evenly coated. If your mix is too mushy you can add more crushed cereal.

Grab a small amount of the mix and press into each holder making sure to fill just the bottom & sides. You want to make a small cup out of the chocolate mix.

To help them set up quicker, put the pan into the freezer for about 20 mins. Then pop out each nest. Place on a plate & add your candy eggs (jelly beans would be cute too!)
Make sure you put a few aside for yourself! Once they’re on the table they go fast!!!






12 comments:

Paula said...

Those look so good and yummy, I'm definitely going to try them this Easter. I might even make some for the Easter Fair at my son's school as I'll be helping with the refreshments & cakes. Thanks for sharing :-)

TexWisGirl said...

That is so cute. :)

Resweater said...

My stomach just growled. I need to make these!

teekaroo said...

This looks so fun! My kids will love it.

Inger said...

That's a beautiful nest and I can see how kids would just love to help.--Inger

Kelli W said...

These are too cute! I love that the kiddos could easily help make these too!

Nancy said...

Oh good Lord, those sound delicious. I don't dare make any, or I'll eat them all! :)

SPARROW said...

Peanut butter and chocolate. My second 2 favorite flavors to mix together.
Cute idea.

Lanell said...

These are so cute. I think I will make these for my Sunday school class for Easter. I have 6 (4 year old boys). My kind of treat. My dictionary eggs were easy to make. Thanks for the comment.

Allison said...

Yum and cute! And.... the good news is... I can actually get ALL -THOSE- INGREDIENTS! Hurray!

Dani said...

This is one delicious post.

Thank you for the visit/comment on my blog. :)

Kate Pabst said...

I'm currently doing a no refined sugar experiment (really hard, by the way!) and I've managed to avoid the candy aisle at the store because Cadbury mini eggs are such a weakness of mine. You've got me drooling!