Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I LOVE molding!

Yes I really do :)  I love how it make a house feel more like a HOME. I have always admired old homes and the many moldings that adorn them. It gives so much character.

Our first apartment was in a 2 flat. It was tiny & old, but had so much charm. Part of that was the molding. I still have such happy thoughts for that place. I wish I had a some of the photos of the outside. But I did find a few of moving day. Before you continue...remember these photos are from '97 -'98!! No judging the decor!! he !he!
Moving in & opening a few gifts from Mom & Dad :)

Our little living room

Since then we married, moved & had kids! But we’ve never lived in a place that’s made me feel like home until 4 years ago when we built our home.


( I'll post a better pic when eveythings in full bloom!)
I must admit, I wasn’t excited to build. I wanted “instant” charm & history! My hubby wanted to “instantly” live there & not have a list of rehab projects that I was sure to have for him with an older home. Oh well….he had a point. I have to admit he was right. Its sometimes more fun to decorate your home rather than rehab your home.
Everyday of the first month after we moved in, I painted, nailed, hung curtains, painted some more & added tons of molding!
Upstairs bathroom molding

If I could climb a ladder & reach it , I was going to paint it and sometimes put up some molding......
Upstairs hall

View from the upstairs into the Living room. We have a super high ceiling in that room. Which is nice, but makes for complicated decorating. I decide place the molding just under the window to help keep the room from feeling like its goes on forever.
But on this wall....
I just painted so it matched the view of the upstairs hall. How did I paint that high you ask? Picture a dinning room table, a ladder, an extendable paint rod & a mom telling her then 5 year old, " you know how to dial 911 right?"  I know I shouldn't have attempted it but I did & its done :)  I have something big planned for that empty space too. Just haven't gotten to that project yet :)

I added it to the doorways & chair rail.....

By the time my husband got home from work each day, another room was done!!

Which leads me to my major project this last week….our family room & kitchen. Why did I wait 4 years to add the molding to these 2 rooms? I think I just did so much all at once, I was just TIRED & wanted to just LIVE here.


So that’s what’s been keeping me busy! I was on such a roll and then my oldest got sick , then my youngest too. Every ones feeling better & I finally finished! I’ll share the before & afters on Friday   : )

12 comments:

Cherie@Accessoire said...

Hi, so glad you stopped by my blog and I love your blog! Your decorating is fantastic. I am a etsian too, jewelry!

Looking forward to your decorating tips and other posts.

Cherie

April said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I live in a house that was built in 1902 and I love the character, but we're moving and I told my husband this time around I want a newer house!

teekaroo said...

I love the charm of old houses, but my husband wants to build as well, so I'm hoping to add little charming touches as well...someday. Great ideas!

Out on the prairie said...

Amazing what you have created. I gave me a nice giggle about the 911 call.

Inger said...

A beautiful home, thanks for the tour. You are so good at all those things. I have lived in very old houses and loved all the details. Now I live in a 1970s house with just a little bit of retro charm, but mostly not. We painted it in part in lively colors, but that's about all. Oh, and my hubby's recessed lights that he can't seem to live without. But then there is the outside to make up for it all.--Inger

TexWisGirl said...

i laughed at the visual of you teetering on a ladder on top of a table, clutching an extendo roller brush!

Barb said...

You are the busiest person I know! Come up to the farm & I'll put that energy to use. :-).

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Love all the colors!

Our first rental had dusty orange long carpeting and dark wood paneling on the walls. LOL. We built as well, 5 years ago, and have been really happy with our log home.

b. lee said...

the molding looks awesome & holla to the picture frames to match!

Allison said...

I am so glad you did this post. Your home IS charming! I was telling my eldest today how I hope to buy molding for our home (a rare find in this country). We were in France today (yes, I talked all about you, Trisha!!) and there is a store there that sells doorKNOBS and molding...just the things to make my future house like home. ;) I love these ideas... keep them coming!!

Treehugger_31 said...

I love old homes too...the more character, the better. Lol. My current home was built in the 1940's..it has some charmind aspects but not enough to keep me happy! Lol. I love what you've done with your home...it's lovely!

Sandy said...

Your house is beautiful - I love all the white chair rails. It's what we PLAN to do but never seam to have the time!
Where in IL are you (I'm in IL too).
Sandy@Firefly Confections
(ps - found from the sweet talk shop)