Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thrifty Thursday......Book page Lamp

I’m always looking for ways to use book pages. Don’t get me wrong….I LOVE BOOKS! But when you can pick up used books for pennies its just too much fun to tear them apart!
Here’s a super cheap & unique way to make a great “reading” lamp shade. The total for the shade & book cost $0.70 !!
You’ll need an old book, shade, circle cutter, and some Mod Podge.

First tear out a stack of pages. Set your cutter to apox. 4 inches. If you don’t have a circle cutter you could always trace a plastic lid (but the project goes so much fast with it !).

Apply your glue and start to layer. Its important to get your layers lined up & even (found this out the hard way!) That way when it’s lit up there’s a nice pattern.
I started at the bottom & then made a row on the top. Then I moved on to the middle. Depending on the size of the shade will determine how many rows you will need.

That’s it! Place it on your lamp & light it up!!

I really love the pattern & warm light it gives.
It even looks pretty nice when the light isn’t on too  : )






19 comments:

Heather said...

Another fabulous idea of yours! It looks great, especially lit up.

Out on the prairie said...

Lovely patterns formed with this.

Judy Whatilivefor said...

That looks so cool! I have a hideous lamp that my husband won't let me get rid of and I might just do this with the shade :)

OurWanderingAdventures said...

This is super!!! Where did you get that circle cutter?

Unknown said...

The lamp is super cute - as is the book page apple. I love what the light does to the circles - very graphic.

TexWisGirl said...

i love the "vintage" look it gives when the light turns the photos golden. :)

Paula said...

What a cool way to use up pages from old books, I really like the pattern it creates with the light on.

d e l i g h t said...

You are one clever girl! I LOVE it!
Linda

Nancy said...

Great way to cover up an ugly or old shade. You rock! :)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a creative idea!

Angie @ Thrifty Like Me said...

No way! This is too cool! I love it!

Kelli W said...

I love this! Cutting the pages into circles is such a fun idea!

Allison said...

Really nice. And I love books, too! How is it that you are so creative, but everything looks so classy and sharp? Amazing!

Naturally Me Creations said...

What a cute idea! A lovely reading lamp indeed. :)

Tnx for linking this up at Who Made What? Weekends!

Jenn Erickson said...

The most beautiful, original, and creative use of book pages I've seen in a long while. I voted for your project over at Naturally Me Creations!

New follower,
Jenn/Rook No. 17

Monica said...

I voted for this brilliant creation at Naturally me.

So creative and I like the effect of the overlapping circles. Really nice and love the way you have placed the lamp with the red books and that handmade apple.

xxx Monica

OurWanderingAdventures said...

Thank you for the response on the circle cutter! I found it yay!!!

I gave you an award on my blog and linked to yours! You are so very creative!!

http://michellescharmworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/id-like-to-thank.html

Farah Muzaffar said...

Hello I came here from Naturally me creation... your lamp really inspiring... its a great creative idea...very lovely indeed
Hope you would like to pay a visit to me at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Being Healthy Soul said...

Nicely wrote!! I have gone through your complete article and I am very much impressed. I would love to read more.
Thank a lot!! Best Juicer for Carrots and Beets