Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thrifty Thursday…..Magnetic Serving Platter

I found this on my recent hunt...a serving plater for just $2.

It has so many pretty details,

but I thought I’d give it a new purpose… a magnet board! For even more character I made little magnets from vintage china plates.
This is a great project for those pretty plates that may have chips. Don’t toss them…break them! Or hit the thrift store. They always have pretty patterned plates at just the right price for breaking : )
Before starting this project make sure you have safety glasses,gloves & a mask. Now for the details….


You need a plate, magnet stickers (craft store), sand paper (or dremel) & hammer. Grab an old t-shirt, a plate, and a hammer. Place the plate inside the shirt. This will help keep all the broken pieces in one place. As well as keeping pieces from flying while you break them. Grab your hammer & pound a few times. Check you plate to see if there are any pieces that will work for you. If you need smaller pieces, cover and pound again.
 Now that you’ve chose your pieces, put on your mask & using sand paper (or a demel), sand all edges. Sand until all edges are smooth.


Cut your magnet stickers to size. Stick on to the back of your broken china & your done!
Use it to hold reminders…..
Or why not use it to hold your recipe cards while your baking!


When ever I break plates I always end up making these cute little hairpins too :)


I just love seeing what shapes will form!

They’re so much fun to make. (Plus, breaking plates are a great way to get out your aggression!)


                                          BlogBadge 180x180Spunky Junky
RemodelaholicYour Whims WednesdayButton




26 comments:

Allison said...

This is so wonderful!!! I love that platter... and I have a silver one just like it, only it's round, not scalloped (sad for me!).

I love it as a recipe holder. I'm going to try this asap. I really like this!

TexWisGirl said...

i love the china magnets - and the hair pins! Great stuff, girlie!

Andria said...

That is a great idea! I've got a platter like that from my wedding years ago that was just shoved in a cupboard. This is a perfect use for it. Thank you!

Resweater said...

I love this! What a fabulous idea! A friend of mine made one with a baking sheet, but this one is so pretty!

Out on the prairie said...

Great idea, you wouldn't believe the magnetic clutter on my refrig.I would think you could score the plates with a glass cutter and get specific shapes some.They make a stone for ceramic tile to smooth the edges.

Nancy said...

Very cool -- love this idea! Great use for chipped plates. :)

Ches said...

So creative! Thanks for your suggestion on my kitchen island.

Inger-M said...

Great idea and a beautiful result!

Prutha Raithatha said...

what a great bargain and finds

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! the china magnets.. are the cutest.. Thats a fab idea!!

Treat and Trick said...

You're so creative to come up with this wonderful idea! Love it....

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

SquirrelQueen said...

Oh breaking things and using my Dremel, that's my kind of project. I have a round platter that I found last summer at a yard sale, this would be a great use for it. Thanks for the ideas.

Purnima@a creative project said...

Lovely idea!!

Naturally Me Creations said...

What an interesting use for a tray! (especially for someone like me who just about NEVER makes use of a tray for usual tray uses, hehe).

Anyway, your broken plate magnets are also a cute idea. :)

Tnx for stopping by to link this up at Who Made What? Weekends!

Lanell said...

Hi Trisha,
I love serving platters, trays, cake stands, and I especially love anything silver. I find alot of vintage ones at the thrift store. This is a perfect way to use them. Very creative. Chalk up another great, unique idea to Roundabout. I saw you at Spunky Junky and had to drop a note.

Diane Writes said...

Your craft was beautiful and wonderful. You gave me a good idea about broken plates. I will share this to my friends who have kids who always end up breaking plates. ;-) You also have proven that there is art from junk. Thank you for sharing and following my blog too. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Trisha, thanks for visiting and following my blog. You have some awesome ideas on your blog. I love these ideas for old plate. Happy to follow your blog.

x

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I love it and am surprised it was magnetic. Thanks so much for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

Kallee Anne said...

what a cute idea. I am visting from homemakeronadime

Teresa said...

I love using the broken china as magnets.. very cute ideal..

Twigs and Twirls said...

What a great idea. I am visiting from Homemaker on a Dime.

Simply Bungalow said...

Great idea. Love the china magnets.
~Heidi

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

What a great idea! And what a great buy on the silver tray!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Love the platter :) Thanks for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

Love this idea...just beautiful and practical too :) I have a mason jar full of pretty broken plate pieces that I have been holding onto until I figure out what I wanted to do with them and NOW... what perfect little idea on how to recyle them...thanks for sharing...
Happy Share the Love!
Big hugs,
Queenie

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

those magnets are so adorable!! what an awesome idea - never would have thought of that

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again later this week :)